#1. “But Moses protested to God…” – Exodus 3:11(a)
#2. “But Moses protested…” – Exodus 3:13(a)
#3. “But Moses protested again…” – Exodus 4:1(a)
#4. “But Moses pleaded with the Lord…” – Exodus 4:10(a)
#5. “But Moses again pleaded, ‘Lord, please! Send anyone else.'”- Exodus 4:13
Here’s Moses, standing before a bush that’s on fire…but not being consumed by the fire…and it’s talking to him, no less!! Once he knows it’s God, he still doesn’t fully trust. Five times, Moses protested, finally pleading to God that He send someone else. Anyone.
We wouldn’t be that mistrusting would we? I mean really if a burning bush is talking to us claiming to be the one true God and calling us to do something, we’d jump right on it, right? Well, my question to you is this…what is God asking you to do? Have you pleaded that
1. what He’s asking of you is too big for you?
2. you’re not qualified?
3. you’re not worthy?
4. you’re too busy?
5. He send someone else?
Guess what? You’re right. To a point. Here’s the thing friend. I was blessed enough to have had my own personal Burning Bush Moment, and I can say from personal experience it’s not as easy as you would think to just jump right in. As I argued with God for six weeks whether or not to start the Upward Sports ministry here at FBCW, I used literally every argument Moses used. And each time, God’s rebuttal put me in my place.
1. Think that what He’s asking of you is too big for you? Yeah…it most likely is. Out of our comfort zone is precisely where God wants us…because when we realize it’s bigger than our ability to do it alone, we have no choice but to call on Him for help…and to give Him the glory afterward. We don’t grow when we’re stagnant and in our comfort zone…physically, mentally or spiritually. To grow in physical strength requires stretching and exercising…pushing ourselves outside of our comfort zone. Likewise, to grow spiritually requires a regular stretching and exercising of our faith…walking outside of our comfort zone.
2. Believe you’re not qualified? God doesn’t call the qualified. He qualifies the called. All throughout Scripture God uses the least likely people to accomplish His will on earth. You’re not qualified…that’s why He wants you to be the one to do it.
3. Think you’re not worthy? You’re not. None of us is. The God who sent His Son to die a horrible death on the cross doesn’t NEED us to do anything. He WANTS us to serve Him…because we want to, not because we have to.
4. & 5. Asking Him to send someone else? We know Moses had the same thought. I’m sure others have too. But quite simply, if not you, then who? If not now, then when?
Not everyone gets a “burning bush” call from God. And even if you did, would you really believe it was God anyway? Or would you stand there talking back to and arguing with a fiery bush like Moses and I both did? So stop waiting for it, because while God can certainly talk to us through a flaming bush if He wanted to, He sent us His Spirit after Christ’s death on the cross for us. And it’s the Holy Spirit – dwelling within us – that He uses to call to us. All we need do is turn off the distractions of this world and slow down so we can hear Him. And then trust Him to do His part in it all.
So…what is God calling you to do? Are you pleading your case or jumping on board? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Will you pray this prayer with me today?
Gracious and holy Lord, I pray that I can put the worries and distractions of this world aside every day so that I can come into closer fellowship with You. That I can hear the whisper of Your voice on my heart and know with certainty it’s You. I pray, oh God, that when I hear Your call, I would have the courage and passion to follow where You lead me without question. I long to know and follow hard after You. Dwell within my heart, soul and mind that I might always feel Your presence. I pray this in the blessed name of your Son, my Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.